The soundbyte summary: Whether we stress eat often hinges on 1) the type of stress; & 2) our food environment.
• Defining stress eating and the reasons why we eat
• How the type of stress and available foods change our eating behaviors
• Why processed foods are so appealing
• The relationship between stress (cortisol) and weight gain
• Strategies to control stress eating
American Psychological Association (APA), 2021. Stress in America™ Report.
Ans et al., 2018. Stress stimulates appetite when high-calorie/palatable foods are around.
Bazhan and Zelena, 2013. Stress without a high-calorie input does not result in obesity.
Konttinen, 2020. Emotional eating and obesity in adults.
Lemmens et al., 2011. Stress induces eating in the absence of hunger.
Yau & Potenza, 2013. Stress and eating behaviors.
>> SEARCH THE PODCAST <<
>>And join the email list for bonus content.