This week, we’re discussing the recommendations made by Valter Longo in his book “The Longevity Diet.” We’re talking through the nine principles of the diet, why we should be hesitant to extrapolate too much from mice studies, the benefits of prolonged fasting, and more.
• The Longevity Diet by Valter Longo (and 9 principles)
• The problems with low-protein intake and periodic prolonged fasting
• Evidence for/against IGF-1 and cancer
• Evidence for/against protein and cancer
• Evidence for/against prolonged fasting and health/longevity
Larsson et al., 2020. Mendelian randomization study: IGF-1 and site specific cancers.
Levine at al., 2014. Association study between IGF-1, protein intake, and cancer.
Naghshi et al., 2020. Higher protein intakes associated with a lower risk of all cause mortality, no association to cancer mortality.
Pound and Ritskes-Hoitinga, 2020. The problem with animal studies.
Putra et al., 2021. Protein to prevent sarcopenia.
Qi et al., 2020. Increased protein no association with cancer mortality.
On the Supposed Benefits of Fasting
On the Highs and Lows of Continuous Glucose Monitors
On the Autoimmune Protocol Diet
On the Cancer Risk of Meat
On Nitrates – Harmful Additive or Performance Enhancer?